Monday, August 13, 2012

Why Howling at the Internet is Better Than Howling to Yourself


Hi, this is me. Okay, so this isn't me. This is a wolf in Alaska, howling on video in something the internet calls "wolf shows." Now, while I don't know what the hell wolf shows are (they sound like something sexually disturbed Alaskans pay money to watch in abandoned Chuck E Cheese's) I can relate to this wolf. 

Many of you may now be taking this time to call BS on my whole "don't know what a wolf show is," that's not how I can relate. As you can see, this particular wolf is howling. Not only is he howling, the poor bastard is howling alone. So, how does this relate to me? Well, this is what I do when it comes to movies, TV, and all things popular culture. You see, film and television are my passions. I love watching film and TV, I love reading about film and TV, I love talking about film and TV. And it's easy (more or less, being from Eastern KY) to do the first two. It's the last one that gives me trouble. 

You see, while a lot of my friends love movies and television, it's sometimes (a lot of times) hard to get much more out of them than the standard "it sucked" or "it was totally awesome man!" Now, don't get me wrong, these statements are often extremely true and every bit as valid as what I have to say, I just want more. Sadly, when I do try to express my feelings about narrative, certain shot techniques, actors, directors or whatever, I usually get the old head nod and move on (probably like Mr. Wolfy when he tries to tell his friends about the times he ends up in an abandoned Chuck E Cheese's without prior knowledge of how he got there). So, what is there to do? Well, that's where the blog comes in.

While it can be very difficult to get my thoughts out about films and TV shows I see, as well as to get real conversations going about said film and TV, I find that when people, including myself, actually type the stuff out, it really can get fun things going. And that's my hope for this blog.

So, here is the idea: Using a clever play on my name (ha ha, Howell sounds like Howl! I'm so clever), I am going to use this blog as a platform to express my thoughts on things popular culture and all types of media that passes through my eyeballs and up into my brain. Hopefully not only will this allow me to better grasp and appreciate what I am watching, it will also allow for conversation between me and my friends, as well as any other awesome stranger that wonders in (not unlike at a wolf show... I hear). 


And with that, let's see how this thing goes. The time of howling alone is over. No more one man wolf pack for this gentleman! So, wherever and whenever and however this finds you, I hope you enjoy it and I hope it acts a way of bring us all together and howling as one about all things pop culture. And maybe if  it really takes off, I can afford to rent an actual, in business Chuck E Cheese! 



I am truly living the dream.