Sunday, August 26, 2012

(Not So) Quick Hits: Volume 1

Feel free to imagine me in a sweater vest when reading this... No, really. Imagine that. 

So, I'm currently writing a longer review of my most recent theater experience, RUBY SPARKS. But in the mean time,  I figured I would give a few quick hits on just a couple of the movies I've seen (or reseen) in the past couple of months. I know reading my lengthy posts can get tiresome (probably, but I hope not), so these might be a little easier to digest. Feel free to read one, two, or all of them! Hopefully you'll get a little out of them and please, by all means, share your thoughts (in the comments) on any of these or any films you've seen in the past little while and liked (or disliked) a lot! Hope you enjoy! Now, BRING ON THE QUICK HITS!



DIE HARD (1988): Directed by John McTiernan and starring a much younger (and much less bald) Bruce Willis as a New York City cop who just wanted to go to LA and see his family for Christmas, DIE HARD is pretty much the quintessential action film. It's the action film you should look at before making your action film. It's the action film you should watch before you watch any other action film just so you can get a reminder of just what things the new action film you're going to watch doesn't do as well. When I wrote that big post about what makes a good action movie I should've made a separate category just for this movie (if it's not clear, I like it a lot). The story is pretty simple, there's a German terrorist plot and a normal guy rising to the occasion, taking business into his own hands and single handedly (well, nearly single handedly) handing the terrorists their asses (insert everyone's favorite DIE HARD line here). I for one am a huge fan of simplicity in any story, as long as that doesn't impede the film itself. And with DIE HARD, it certainly doesn't. The action is still crisp and exciting and the special effects look great on blu-ray, but it's the two main characters (and Karl from FAMILY MATTERS) that are the film's true high point. John McClain is the complete package when it comes to the normal, good guy. He's the everyman that every man wants to be. I completely rooted for him every step of the way and, by creating such as investment in McClain, that makes Gruber the pefect villain. And the way Rickman plays him makes you hate everything about him and leaves you in a state of constant, seething malice. Sure, it might be a little racist with the way it portrays the few black characters in the film, but this is the ultimate action film and I love it. 



IN THE LOOP (2009): Okay, that was a long one. Let's try to keep the other ones a little quicker. IN THE LOOP is amazing. I loved it. It is an excellent satire on the relationships between the British and Americans as they try to work together and against one another to either promote or prevent the war in Iraq. A lot of people complain about the fact that there's actually no war in the film, but that's the point. It's not about the war, it's about the people behind it and their constant drive to further their careers, save face, ruin others, as well as their complete ineptitude every step of the way. It's a biting portrayal of those behind the scenes of one of the most important events of most of our lives while being a masterclass in the art of cursing. Amazing.



FIGHT CLUB (1999): There, that was a little better. The next one I have thought a lot about and I'm still not exactly sure how I feel about it, so I'm going to save it for a larger post. But just quickly, FIGHT CLUB is something special and is clearly an important film. Supposedly a satire on nihilism, anarchy, and the want to defeat capitalism with good, old-fashioned neanderthalism. While I can't decide yet whether or not it succeeds in this, I think it did. I know some people are completely with Tyler Durden and feel that Ed Norton's turn at the end of the film is unearned, I think I disagree. Throughout the film, though enjoying what Tyler's world brings him, to me it always appears that there is that apprehension brewing just under the surface. And at the end of the film when we are supposed to snap out of Tyler's world like Norton, I did, for the most part. It's just the minority left with Tyler that troubles me. To be continued.



ANIMAL HOUSE (1978): Though I can appreciate what ANIMAL HOUSE did for comedy during it's time, I'm not sure it still works to full effect now (or maybe for my generation?). While I did laugh quite a bit (it's truly sad that the world had to lose John Belushi, he's fantastic), I'm not sure the jokes packed as much punch as they did in the years previous. That being said, there's still an interesting theme of racism (complete with some unbelievably idiotic and offensive jokes!) and seeing how pertinent it still was during the time this was shot is incredibly interesting and I feel that Otis Day and the Knights really bring an interesting dimension to an otherwise college/gross out humor film. There's also a very interesting dynamic on college life vs. the real world you're heading into that, me being in college, had a significant impact. Seeing characters struggling with trying to fit in and figure out who they are is very a very important aspect in my the stage of life I (and many of you reading this) am in. It also helped enforce the notion that I shouldn't worry so much and enjoy the time I have because things are going to work out the way they're meant to in the long run (this one's for you, Senator).



LEON: THE PROFESSIONAL (1994): Attack of the colon (ewwww, that sounded a lot better in my head)! Jokes aside, this is another interesting film (whatta' ya think I watch drab?!). Jean-luc Besson has an impeccably beautiful style that makes New York feel very unique (which in turn makes me sad that we don't get to see much more of it). The relationship between Leon and Matilda (played brilliantly by Jean Reno and Natalie Portman, who looks just like a mini version of today's Natalie) is a strange and intriguing one. On one hand father/daughter, on the other hand Humbert Humbert/Lolita, it's the main dynamic in the film and I really felt a true connection between the two and felt myself wanting them to be together forever (no, not in that way). I've seen some complaints that Natalie doesn't actually show off the fruits of her training and that it's Leon that does most of the dirty work (this is remedied a little bit in the extended cut). While I do feel like Matilda's revenge arc is kind of left hanging because she isn't the one to blow the hell out of Norman Stansfield, I feel like her character (actually both her and Leon) goes through a pretty satisfying arc. She turns her life around, gets it together and goes back to school. Leon's bankroll provides her a steady income and it's presumed in the final scene that she is going to make the most of the new lease on life Leon has given her. Leon himself learns to care for a real human being instead of a plant and finds meaning in an otherwise day-in-day-out, same ol', same ol' kind of existence. Gary Oldman also plays one of the most disgusting things I've ever seen on film and it's terrifying and wonderful and I love it. Over the top in all the right ways.



TRUE ROMANCE (1993): In memory of the late, great Tony Scott, I watched probably what is considered his best work (TOP GUN notwithstanding). Written by the one and only pop-culture samurai himself, Quentin Tarantino, TRUE ROMANCE is just pure, exhilarating fun. It's a visceral roller coaster (at some points literally!) and creates such a unique and extraordinarily cool film world that you just want to live there forever. The relationship between Christian Slater and Patricia Arquette also lives up to the title in every aspect and then some. It's truly one of the oddly sweetest and weirdly organic relationships in film history. Along with amazing performances by an ensemble cast including Christopher Walken and Dennis Hopper (who steal the movie with their incredibly intense conversation about sons, Sicilians, and fruit), Brad Pitt, and the amazingly scary and hilariously funny Gary Oldman, the film's unapologetic, bloody, pulpy and transcendent bizarreness is truly a joy to experience and makes it one fantastic movie. RIP Tony Scott. Your legacy is more than secure. 


BRICK (2005): This has already run a lot longer than I'd hope, so I'll keep this short. Directed by the mind behind the upcoming time travel film LOOPER, Rian Johnson, this neo-noir set in a high school atmosphere just feels so different and so fresh. I love pretty much everything about it. The fast-talking, slang infused jive being spouted at a machine gun speed is amazing to listen to and the mystery, though not the best, is still pretty interesting. What else I find fascinating is how easy the Dashiell Hammett hard-boiled character types fit into the high school setting. Every character in the film is multi-layered, intense and often very funny. The character Tugger also made me more physically uncomfortable than most of characters I've seen recently and it was awesome! Every time he was on screen I was cringing and just waiting for something amazing to release my muscles from their tension. I want to think more about this one and how the themes of love, loss and jealousy all play into it, but for now I'll just say I really enjoyed it. It had me from the very beginning and I think that the complete freshness, what it has to say about high school cliques and how they compare to the hardest of criminal organizations, and the overall muted emotion tucked just underneath the surface (very much like another one of my favorites, DRIVE) are simply beautiful (in a very messed up kind of way). It's on Netflix Instant. Watch it. 

That's all for now, guys. I hope you enjoyed these quick little takes on some varied cinema. I hope these will compel you all to search some (or all!) of them out and watch them. They really deserve your attention and I would love to hear your guys' opinions on any of these in particular or your thoughts on anything you've seen recently. So, please don't hesitate to post some comments and look for my review of RUBY SPARKS in the next few days!